There are several factors to consider when selecting environmentally friendly carpeting.
Manufacturing: Are the raw materials that go into the product environmentallybeneficial or at the very least neutral? Is production an energy intensiveendeavor?
- SmartStrand is partially comprised of corn, a renewable resourcewhich ultimately reduces the product's reliance on petroleum based ingredients.
- Mohawk, as a company, has demonstrated a commitment to reducing energyand water consumption in the production of its products which ultimately reducesthe products carbon footprint.
Durability: High durability means less frequent replacement and less fodder forthe landfills.
- An internet search reveals that SmartStrand has a reputation forbeing durable.
Indoor Air Quality: Does the product off-gas toxic chemicals?
- SmartStrand hasearned the Carpet & Rug Institutes third party Green Label Plus certification forlow emissions.
End of Life options: What are your disposal options at the end of the carpet's
useful life? There are currently very few recycling programs in the US for carpetbut this is changing . . . slowly.
- Mohawk currently does not have a "take back"program.
- Interface, makers of Flor carpet tiles, have a take back programwhereby consumers can return worn out carpet to the manufacturer for recycling.
The inability to recycle carpet is a primary factor why consumers often choose
another flooring material that either has a longer life expectancy or is recyclableat the end of its useful life.
For more information:
Read "I want low VOC carpet to replace my old carpeting. What are the best -- and least toxic -- conventional choices?" a Q&A answered by William Janhonen.
Also,David Rodriguez recommends SmartStrand and three other CRI Green Label carpets in thisQ&A "I need to find low-toxic carpet for my rental apartment. What are some reliable brands?"