Is there any way to not experience the toxins from a conventional wood stain and lacquer by reapplying a natural finish?

Question

Is there any way to not experience the toxins from a conventional wood stain and lacquer by reapplying a natural finish?

Asked by KBritt

We used a conventional wood stain and lacquer to finish a table. The toxins are now making me sick. Just wondering if there is a way to stop it from emitting the chemicals by "sealing" it with something more natural. Or do we need to sand it down and start over? Thanks!!

Answer this question

Answers

Grania Murray's picture

In my experience, the answer to this is no. I'd highly recommend you take that lacquer off asap and finish with a water based stain and sealant.