Yes, there are alternatives to the traditional paper application-products that are both an adhesive & moisture barrier.
- There is a green product made by MaxWindsor called "Total Max (Green) One-Step Solution Urethane Adhesive and Concrete Moisture Sealer" which has instructions of application to plywood .
- This product has a LOW to zero VOC and it is solvent free which would address your issue of toxicity.
- With headquarters in California; it is also CA Prop 65 compliant (ref. label on the 5 GAL. pail) and, also, USGBC LEED qualified.
- It has crack suppressant & GREAT bonding properties, contains no water, which are comforting qualities for high traffic areas after installation.
We have used it in the past even for hard surface applications (quartz, onyx, decorative surfaces, etc)in backsplashes and murals.
Upon installation, make sure your installer reads the back of the pail and the attached manufacturer's PDF for installation instructions with your plywood.
- The PDF gives installation instructions and product calculations for quantity.
- REMEMBER, curing time and humidity (if applicable in your area) moreso than outside tempature when applying any adhesive product are paramount considerations!
By the By, you will be pleased with this product!
For more information:
Read "Can we avoid formaldehyde in adhesives by choosing hardwood flooring that is nailed into place?" a Q&A answered by Martine Paquin.