With the shift in the construction industry to sustainable methods and materials, newproducts and methods are now available, which are safer to use.
- These productsare mostly water-based penetrating stains or solvent-based concrete dyes.
- They have anexpanded palette of colors ranging from soft pastels to vivid reds, oranges, yellows, andpurples.
EcoProcote, acompany based in Phoenix, Arizona, manufacturesa line of environmentally compliantfinishes made from soy.
- Their base is Soy-Ester (soy oil), which is not only a natural material,but is taken out of the waste stream from the residue of soy used for making Vitamin E.
- The Soy-Ester replaces the petroleum based solvents which were used for their greater penetrationcharacteristics. Soy-Ester provides the same penetration properties while being 100%bio-degradable, non-hazardous and ultra-low VOC's.
- It is also UV resistant and won'tfade or chip.
SoyCrete, their bio-based semi-transparent penetrating concrete stain, is acid-free andultra-low VOC (
- It comes in a variety of colors with the appearance of an acid stain, but with moreconsistency. It is also easier to control and faster to install. As the process itself is notchemical, there is no waiting for the results.
- One can easily mix colors to achieve the desired coloration and variation, with colorsranging from natural in appearance (sandstone, beige, and leather brown) to more vibrantblues and reds.
Preparing the concrete for staining
The more porous your concrete is, the better stains and sealers will adhere to theconcrete.
- To check the porosity, drop water on the concrete at several locations and see how longit takes for the concrete to absorb it. The faster the concrete absorbs the water, the moreporous it is.
- Should the water sit on the surface, you will need to prepare the concrete. EcoProcote carries a product, Eco-Etch Pro, which is a water-based, noncorrosive,biodegradable concentrate concrete etching and cleaning solution.
- Eco-Etch Pro is ideal for preparinginterior or exterior concrete for optimum penetration and adhesion of stains and sealers. Italso removes dirt, clay, rust, and efflorescence.
If there are no issues with your concrete's porosity, you might then choose a surfacecleaner, such as EcoProcote's Soy-It All-Purpose Degreaser. Once the surface is dry, youcan apply the concrete stain, SoyCrete.
This comes by the gallon but also is available in 2-oz. test cans. A colorant is added to themix. It can be applied manually with a cloth or a squeegee, but for larger areas you might finda floor buffer more convenient.
- As it is a penetrating stain, multiple colors can be worked achieving a layered appearanceand with a variety of applicator tool choices and sprayers a variety of textures.
- A videoshowing installation can be seen here.
When you are satisfied with the color and variation, youcan seal it with EcoProcote's Acri-Soy Sealer.