I need to change the air handler on my AC. Will it hinder the performance if I use a different brand?
Asked by Linus Samoht
I changed only the outside AC unit for a Trane XL 14i model 3 years ago. I did not change the air handler at that time because it was working fine. Now I have problems with the ductwork and am planning to replace the ductwork along with the air handler unit. I contacted Trane authorized installers. The quotes I received from 4 of them were unbelievable. I then found an independent AC company who quoted me half of what the others did for installing a variable-speed Luxaire air handler along with changing the ductwork. Will it hinder the performance if I don't go with a Trane unit?
Answer this question
It could, but if the cut-rate guys do everything right it will not hinder performance.
Do your homework and talk to previous customers.If things don't go well, are they going to take care of you?
- Will they install a TXV?
- Will they fill the linesets with nitrogen before soldering?
- Will they use the high % Ag solder or the cheap stuff?
- Will they evacuate the lineset for 1 hour, at least, to remove moisture?
- Will they seal every joint in the ductwork with mastic?
- Do they understand the intricate dynamics of airflow and charge?
For more information:
Check our Find a Pro directory to find agreen HVACcontractor in your area.