First, congratulations for working on your ductwork. Leaky ductwork is one of the largest energy wasters in your home.
- Replacing duct work usually requires a permit from your local building department.
- Installing duct work so that it won't leak is difficult.
- To make sure it is installed correclty, a test called a "duct blaster" is required.
With the above caveats if your still ready to DIY, just ask the material supplier to confirm that the products comply with
- California "Practice for Testing of VOCs from Building Materials Using Small Chambers", or have the
- "Green Guard Children and Schools" certification.
These products will be no, or very low VOC.
For more information:
Read "How do you seal leaky ductwork?" a Q&A answered by David Edwards.