That's an easy one for me to answer as I also live in Encinitas. I will answer your question here, but feel free to give me a call or email me to discuss further. You can find my contact information by going to our GreenHomeGuide PROFILE page.
I have several ways I would like to answer your question because I'm not sure exactly what it is you are looking for...
Finding homes with green certifications
If you are wanting to simply find out what Green Homes there are out there in our North County area, it takes a bit of legwork to find them.
- LEED Certified Homes or GreenPointRATED Homes are fairly easy to find as there are databases you can refer to through the USGBC website and the Build It Green website.
- The map I referred you to on the Build It Green website shows both certified and registered GreenPointRATED homes.
- The PDF that I referred you to on the USGBC website only shows certified homes by state, it does not show registered homes in the LEED for Homes Rating System (The database for Registered Projects is unfortunately no longer available.)
Finding homes with green features
If you are looking for homes that do not have those certifications but are simply "Green Homes", it is difficult to find homes that simply have "Green Features."
- You would need to speak with somebody in the Green Building Community, like myself, to point you in the right direction.
- Unfortunately you just missed the USGBC San Diego Chapter's "Green Homes Tour" which would have enabled you to see a few homes in the area local to you.
- Look for the tour to take place again in October or November of next year.
Finding green homes for sale
If your question is that you are looking for Green Homes that are on the market, well there are a few but not too many. I know of one website here that lists Green Homes for sale in our county, click HERE to take a look at it.
There are many people here that are working on "Greening the MLS" in San Diego, and once that is accomplished it will be much easier to find Green Homes for sale in the county.
It's been a bit of an uphill battle to get our Realtor Boards to move forward with having a Green MLS, but we should eventually get there.
Building green or remodeling a home
If you are looking to build a Green Home or do a remodel to your home in order to "green it", it would be best to speak to local architects and builders who have had the experience of Building Green. The GreenHomeGuide has wonderful resources pages for San Diego architects and builders you can contact.
If you are thinking of working with any of the people you would be contacting, be sure to ask about their past experience in designing or building homes to be sure that they have the necessary experience required. That will help you differentiate between those that are interested in building green, and those that already have had a few solid projects under their belts.
Again, if you have any further questions I would be happy to answer them personally. I sit on the USGBC San Diego Chapter's Residential Committee, am a LEED for Homes consultant, and to date have been involved in more LEED for Homes projects here in North County San Diego than anyone else. I thus should be a good resource for you!